Thursday, October 30, 2008

Slow Progress

I'll post pictures of our Halloween costumes on my blog, as long as my computer holds up.

I basted Seth's quilt on Monday. Basting is when you temporarily sew or bind something so that you can sew it the way you need. For a quilt like Seth's you simply want to make it so that the three layers stay in the same place relative to each other. There are a few ways to do this. If you are hand quilting, you can use the traditional way, a quilting frame. I find that quilting frames take up way too much space, cost a lot, are hard to store, and I'm not a big fan of hand quilting anyway. If you are machine quilting there are a couple of ways you can baste your quilt. One way is to use spray adhesives, something that I have never done, although I have some and plan to try it some day. Another way, the way I use is to lay the quilt out on the floor and pin it with large safety pins.
When I baste Bailey's quilt, I'll post a tutorial.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Arlynda! We miss you guys!! Thanks for creating this blog. I can't wait to start on a nursing cover for my sister-in-law. I was wondering if you can post how to make hooded towels. I would like to make each of the kiddos one for Christmas. Thanks!!

Queen of the Castle said...

Yeah, I will. I'll do it right after Thanksgiving.