Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Machine Quilting

Evelyn,
I hope this answers your question.

I think that it is hard to imagine what you can do with a sewing machine and a quilt.  The layers give you the ability to create wonderful textures.  That is what the patterns that I posted yesterday are all about. 

Here's a machine quilted quilt:


The paisleys are all machine sewn onto the quilt with decorative thread.


This closer shot shows more detail, making it easier to see the stippling (the meandering pattern on the black cloth done in black thread).  The stippling adds texture to the quilt.  That is the sort of effect I'm going for on the quilts.  Seth's pattern instead of being the meandering pattern will be the cars and Bailey's will be planets and stars.  From a distance the quilts will look the same, but up close the textures will be more pronounced and you'll be able to see that they are not the same.

You can read more about this particular quilt here: Paisley Pavane

Tomorrow, I'll post some close ups of Abby's quilt.  It has some of what I'm talking about on it.

1 comment:

Evelyn said...

Wow, that's gorgeous! And you did indeed answer my question. The wonders of technology.